I’m not a very big fan of salads as I have probably shared before, but there are a couple salads that I do enjoy. Usually these salads have cheese and bacon and aren’t the healthiest of the salad spectrum. This salad features hardboiled eggs, cucumber. tomato, bacon, cheese and chicken on a bed of green lettuce and spinach. You can pair this salad with your favourite dressing, and mine just so happens to be honey mustard. This recipe was inspired by this recipe but I didn’t want to use premade chicken strips so I simple cooked up a chicken breast that had been defrosting in the fridge waiting for its opportunity to get cooked into a delicious something or other.
I made hardboiled eggs properly for the first time for this salad, and it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I covered my eggs in cold water and gently brought them to a boil, I allowed it to boil for a minute and then removed the pot from the heat and covered for 12 minutes. After the 12 minutes I transferred the eggs to an ice bath until they were cool completely to the touch and I peeled them. I also gleaned some wisdom from my brilliant sister-in law Liz, who gave me a tip of how to get perfect chicken breasts every time. I browned both sides of my chicken breast in a cast iron pan and then transferred to a preheated oven to bake for 20 minutes. The chicken turned out perfectly and I couldn’t have been more happy. I always get a bit nervous about cooking chicken breasts because I want to make sure they are cooked through, but I want them to stay moist.
- Lettuce: I used a mix of green lettuce and spinach
- Crispy bacon bits (I made my own)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced tomato
- Diced cucumber
- Chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder
- Dressing of choice
- To make hardboiled eggs: Cover eggs with cold water in a pot and gently bring to a boil. Once boiling allow to boil for 1 minutes. After 1 minute take off the heat and cover and allow to sit for 12 minutes. Run eggs over cold water or transfer them to an ice bath until cool to the touch. Peel and slice.
- To make chicken: Preheat oven to 350. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a cast iron pan. Brown both sides of the chicken and then transfer the pan to the preheated oven and allow to cook for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for a couple moments before slicing into strips or dicing into cubes.
- To assemble salad: Top your greens with your favourite toppings like hard boiled eggs, cucumber, tomato, bacon bits, cheddar cheese and chicken. Drizzle with your favourite dressing.