The other night I couldn’t figure out what to make for dinner! My mind was totally blank and I my stomach was growling which is a pretty terrible combination. I had chicken broth to use up and a fridge and pantry full of potential, but I was craving Gnocchi Soup and I didn’t have any Gnocchi to make it. I finally got a brainwave! I would make a potpie which has all of the same ingredients as the Gnocchi soup and top it with parmesan biscuits! I made a couple adjustments to the normal recipe I use have the same seasonings. The recipe I normally use is from Damn Delicious which you can find here.
I decided to add parmesan and nutmeg to the biscuits, and I added nutmeg, thyme and dried parsley into the potpie filling. This meal is delicious, cozy and really filling. Making this recipe was a great break from writing my paper. I love spending time in the kitchen and actually find it really relaxing. I feel really satisfied when I put my feet up at the end of the day and have a fridge full of yummy food.
- 2 tbsp. butter (I use salted)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 3 carrots
- 2 ribs of celery
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 3 1/2 cup Shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp. butter cold
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Using your fingers or a pastry blender cut the butter into the dough until it resembles peas. Using a spatula gently stir in the buttermilk and parmesan cheese.
- Pour onto a slightly floured surface. Roll dough out to make an inch thick rectangle. Cut out biscuits and place on prepared baking sheet. Place into the fridge until time to use. If overnight, cover with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 9×13 dish.
- In a large pot or deep skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add garlic, onions, carrots, celery and cook until onion has become soft and translucent.
- Whisk in flour and cook for a couple minutes until the flour flavour is cooked out. Slowly add in the chicken broth and then the milk stirring to get rid of any lumps. Add seasonings and cook until the filling thickens slightly. At this point add the chicken, peas and salt and pepper.
- Add filling to prepared baking dish. Cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes uncovered. Remove from oven and top with biscuits. Brush the biscuits with melted butter and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then serve.