This month’s Fantastical Food Fight had the challenge of something Chocolate Covered! It is a perfect theme for Valentine’s Day! I spent Valentine’s Day with my parents and husband. I made homemade bruschetta, baked three cheese ziti, Caesar salad and Strawberry Panna Cotta! It was a delicious meal, the table was filled with “yummy noises” especially coming from my Dad. Valentine’s Day is my parent’s anniversary, so it was my honour to make them a lovely meal, so my mom who would normally be cooking to sit back and enjoy. I decorated the table and at each table setting was one of these delicious treats made by my hubby and I: Chocolate Covered Caramel Popcorn Balls.
My husband and I worked together to make these delicious and easy treats. I was inspired by this recipe on Diethood, and decided to use a recipe for Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn that I have made before and really enjoyed. This is a really easy recipe, and would be very fun to get children involved for a fun time if you wish. They could be involved in forming the caramel balls, dipping them and sprinkling them with sprinkles. This recipe could also be adapted for other holidays by using other sprinkles, or using different coloured candy melts to “match” the holiday themes.
- 1 bag of popcorn
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- 2o large marshmallows
- 1-2 bars of milk chocolate
- 1-2 tsp butter
- Cake Pop Sticks
- Valentine’s day Sprinkles
- Valentine’s day cupcake liners
- Non-stick spray
- Pop a bag of popcorn in a microwave using the instructions on the bag. Make sure to remove any unpopped kernels.
- In a medium/large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup and mix until well combined. Add the marshmallows and mix until the marshmallows have melted and formed a smooth mixture.
- Add the popcorn and mix until all of the popcorn is fully covered.
- Lay out cupcake liners and coat lightly with non-stick spray. Cover your hands with non-stick spray and form popcorn into balls.
- Stick a cake pop stick into the center of the balls.
- Cut chocolate roughly into small pieces and add a tsp of butter. Melt in microwave safe bowl in 20 second increments. If needed add more butter until smooth and the chocolate mixture is thin enough to dip in.
- Dip caramel popcorn balls in chocolate generously and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Place the chocolate covered popcorn balls into a cupcake liner that had been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Once all caramel balls have been covered place the balls into a fridge to let the chocolate set.
- If you want to gift these balls wrap in cellophane bags and tie with ribbons.