Red Velvet Cake is my favourite kind of cake. It was our wedding cake, and will always have a special place in my heart. The hardest thing about red velvet cake is getting that bright red colour. I don’t like adding too much dye, but sometimes I make an exception. One of my favourite beverages is hot chocolate, so when I found this recipe I couldn’t help but give it a try! My hubby also got me an awesome Valentine’s Day mug that I was very excited to use for the first time! I split the recipe in half as I was just making it for the two of us.
This recipe was really easy to put together, and I had a lot of fun going a bit overboard with the delicious toppings. It is a really rich drink, so it is probably best served in smaller mugs, and that way it will last longer. My favourite part of this recipe is the cream cheese whipped topping that really sets this hot chocolate apart. Cream cheese icing is an integral part of a red velvet experience, and this whipped cream is integral for this hot chocolate, it is by far worth the extra step. This recipe is a wonderful addition to your Valentine’s Day Recipe Collection!
Ingredients (for 2):
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate:
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- 5 oz of semi-sweet chocolate
- Red food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Topping:
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- mini marshmallows
- melted chocolate to drizzle
- Add milk and sugar into a pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the chocolate. Once melted add the vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Once smooth taste the hot chocolate. Adjust chocolate, vanilla and salt according to taste.
- Add red food colouring gradually until the desired colour is reached.
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream:
- In a small to medium bowl whip the whipped cream and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- You can either scoop the whipped cream topping on top or put the whipped cream in a small Ziploc bag and cut the tip off to pipe the whipped cream on top.
- Top with desired toppings (see above for a list of suggestions).