I think lunches are the hardest meal to wrap my brain around. Being a student there are some days I am home for lunch, other days I have about an hour and a half break to find a microwave, and the worst days where I have classes back to back and have to eat cold food. I prefer hot lunches. I already have a hard enough time with leftovers, but cold leftovers are the worst. One morning I decided to be particularly ambitious and got a fajita sheet pan meal in the oven before 10am. I was up early because our landlords let us know that they would need access to our suite to take a look at the vacuum hook-up. This 5 minute task turned into an hour long adventure including a hole being cut in our/their wall to find the vacuum hook up. I impressed the vaccuum tech with my very chic onion goggles which are actually just ski goggles. It was quite an adventurous morning. I used it to create my fajita rice bowl lunch which was extremely delicious and filling (and healthy!). I was inspired by this Tasty Video (first one in the list). This was a really quick meal to put together and can be dinner, lunch or make ahead for meal prep.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 3 bell peppers
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- cooked brown rice
- black beans
- lime juice
- cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- I cut 3 bell peppers into strips and placed on 1/3 of a large baking sheet.
- I then cut 1 onion into large slices and placed on the opposite side of the baking sheet leaving space between the bell peppers and onion for the chicken. The original recipe called for red onion which I would prefer, but I didn’t have any on hand, but the white onion was still delicious.
- I seasoned both sides of my 2 large chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and oregano because my husband doesn’t like cumin which is in taco seasoning.
- Season the peppers and onion with salt and pepper and drizzle the whole pan in olive oil. Toss the veggies to coat.
- Cook in the oven until chicken is cooked through should take about 25 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking put a pot of rice on and a small pot for corn.
- I opened a can of black beans and rinsed them in cold water.
- When the chicken is cooked through it is time to put together your rice bowl.
- Start by spooning rice into the bottom of your bowl or tupperware container. Top with sliced chicken, peppers, onion, diced tomato/salsa, beans, corn, cheddar cheese and finish off with a generous splash of lime juice or serve with lime wedge.
- ENJOY 🙂