This is the last recipe I am sharing for this month for the first cookbook review! This month was The Newly Wed Cookbook and I have loved going through this gem! The moment I saw this recipe in the cookbook I knew I had to make it! I was a little apprehensive with the concept of baked risotto, but it worked out beautifully, and was so much easier to do than stovetop. I also was nervous because I was roasting some vegetables that I had never prepared, cooked or eaten before, but they turned out DELICIOUS and got the stamp of approval from my hubby!
While making this recipe I burnt my hand! I grabbed the handle of my pan (which had been in the oven) to stir in the last couple ingredients, and I burnt my hand! I spent a bunch of time standing at the sink with my hand under water. My hubby took very good care of me as my hand ached in pain (burns are the worst). It is feeling much better now.
This is a really filling meal and is vegetarian (if you use veggie broth instead of chicken broth). I loved the combination of flavours of this meal, and I love how easy it was. The prep included peeling and chopping up the vegetables, letting them roast in the oven as I relaxed, and then putting together the risotto ingredients and letting that bake in the oven while I once again relaxed. It is a perfect meal for a lazy cozy Saturday or Sunday. This recipe could easily be used as meal prep for a week of lunches!
- 4 beets
- 2 medium sized onions quartered
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 turnips
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups hot chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 parmesan
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roasting Vegetables: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash, peel and cut up vegetables into equal size pieces. (Tip for beets: cover your cutting board with parchment paper so that it doesn’t stain purple/pink). Cut onions into quarters. Toss vegetables and onion with olive oil.
- Spread the vegetables over 2 baking sheets and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables for 45 minutes to an hour. Mine took 45 minutes. I would recommend half way through cooking time flipping the vegetables, otherwise it gets very dark on one side.
- Baked Risotto: Put olive oil in a large pan or dutch oven that is oven proof. Add the diced onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add the Arborio rice until coated in oil, add the white wine and cook until the wine has evaporated.
- Once wine is evaporated add 2 cups of the hot chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Once boiled cover with a lid and put into 400 degree oven. Bake for 25 minutes. At 25 minutes check the rice, it should be cooked and the liquid should be gone. Remove from oven and add butter, parmesan cheese and remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Scoop risotto into a bowl and put the roasted veggies on top.