I am extremely proud of how this recipe turned out. This recipe looks so pretty when it is baked and when it is waiting to be baked. It is worth the extra effort. It is also a recipe you can feel good eating. It is cozy and yet filled with vegetables. I found this recipe on buzzfeed (recipe video here). I had a smaller skillet than the one used in the recipe, so I roughly halved the recipe. My husband and I served this as a side with Chicken Parmesan. We also used the leftovers to make Chicken Veggie Sandwich.
- roma tomatoes
- 1 long eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomato
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 tsp dried parsely
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice up vegetables and arrange them so that you have a stacks containing one slice of each vegetable.
- Begin the sauce by heating olive oil in a oven safe skillet. Add onions, garlic and bell pepper and cook until soft.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes and ensure it is well incorporated. Add the chopped basil and stir it in. Season the sauce with salt and pepper
- Take the skillet off the heat and add the vegetables in a spiraled pattern, starting with the outer edges. Fit in as many of the vegetable slices as possible. If you need tips watch the video linked above.
- Mix together the seasoning ingredients together and spoon or brush over the vegetables.
- Cover the skillet with aluminium foil and bake in the oven on a tray (in case of spillage) for 40 minutes. After the 40 minutes remove the foil and bake for 2o minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven and ENJOY 🙂