These are one of the most addictive snacks I make. I first found this recipe on buzzfeed here and it has forever changed my life. My hubby and I came back to our old basement suite after moving all of our stuff to our new place 4 hours away. We were tired and hungry and tired of take out. It was also Sunday night so some preparations had to be done for work lunches for the week. I had some leftover caramels sitting in my cupboard so I decided to make half a batch of these delicious snacks. However, half a batch is not even close to enough. It is Tuesday and I made these Sunday night and we have only one little corner piece left. I couldn’t control myself. I just had to eat and eat and eat these. I think what really hooks me is the oozing caramel! I love caramel and yes I know this recipe uses a cheater caramel it doesn’t matter because it is so good!
- 2 cups Oats
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 50 soft caramels (unwrapped)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Once well combined add melted butter and mix until combined. It will look crumbly.
- Pour out half of the oat mixture into your prepared dish. Press down to create the first yummy layer.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate) all over the bottom layer of the carmelitas.
- In a sauce pan melt the caramels and heavy cream together. Mix until smooth and completely melted. Pour over the chocolate chips and bottom layer of carmelitas.
- Pour the rest of the oat mixture over top of the caramel evenly.
- Add the rest of the chocolate chips or a little bit more if you like.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely.
- ENJOY I know you have waited SOOO long!